Electronic cigarettes are a smoke-free alternative to tobacco cigarettes. They are designed to provide a smoker with the full sensation of smoking, including the taste, feel, and hand-to-mouth motion, as well as the nicotine hit, but without harmful smoke. By eliminating the inhalation and emission of tobacco combustion products, electronic cigarettes greatly reduce the health consequences associated with cigarette smoking.
Watch Great Ecig Video Below on WHY eCigs Work to Stop Smoking
How Do Ecigs Work?
- The electronic cigarette is a kit and it operates by use of micro electronic technology. The user takes in nicotine and exhales vapor that turns into water when released into the atmosphere. This cigarette is good alternative to the traditional cigarette and if you have been unable to quit tobacco smoking and you want to, this is as yet the best solution. Just like its name suggests, the electronic cigarette is an electronic device and it is made of three main components and other sub-components/accessories. They all work in conjunction with each other and therefore when you buy this cigarette, you had better make sure that you are well versed on how electronic cigarettes work..
- Mostly referred to as an electronic cigarette kit, you will find it easy to understand how electronic cigarettes work. For starters, there is the cartridge, also referred to as the mouthpiece. This is where the solution containing propylene glycol is contained and when it is heated, it produces nicotine vapor that the user inhales. This is also referred to as e-liquid and it is where the user chooses the flavor that he/she likes most..
- As you seek to know how electronic cigarettes work; you will also want to know about the different flavors that are available for you to choose from. They include just about anything that you can think of but the most common are vanilla, strawberry, chocolate, menthol, mint and tobacco to name but just a few of them. If you want to have an angelic aftertaste in your mouth even after you smoke your full dose of nicotine, you should buy the electronic cigarette. The e-liquid solution is a blend of water and propylene glycol and the flavors are added onto the main ingredient which is nicotine..
- You cannot know how electronic cigarettes work without knowing about the battery which is rechargeable. It is the one that heats the atomizer which in turn vaporizes the e-liquid/juice. If you buy your e-cig, you will find a user manual that is sold with the kit so that you can know how electronic cigarettes work. Once you assemble your electronic cigarette, you either turn the atomizer on manually by pressing a button or if it is the automated version, you will start it by “puffing” on your cigarette which sends the signal to the atomizer which then turns on automatically. Additionally circuitry inside the device powers the LED tip of the cigarette which glows red to simulate the burning tip of a traditional cigarette..
More On How E-cigs Work
Electronic cigarettes produce a near odorless vapor from vaporization (conversion of liquid into a gas) of a liquid solution, rather than producing smoke from combustion (burning) like tobacco cigarettes.
The e-cigarette itself is a fairly simple electronic device that vaporizes the liquid put into it. The vapor produced by the e-cigarette resembles tobacco smoke, can be inhaled and exhaled as with cigarette smoking, yet no smoke or combustion is involved.
The e-cigarette uses battery power and does not need to be lit. When the user inhales through the tube, the atomizer (heating element) slightly heats the liquid solution until it vaporizes. Atomizers may be automatic (activated by airflow) or manual (press of button).
The e-liquid solution typically consists of only a few basic ingredients: water, liquid nicotine, flavoring, propylene glycol, and glycerin. Propylene glycol and glycerin, which are added to the e-liquid to produce the smoke-like vapor, are common food additives. The e-liquid solution is available in various nicotine strengths (even nicotine-free) and in a variety of flavors.
Types and Styles of E-Cigarettes
Electronic cigarettes, also called e-cigarettes, e-cigs, or PVs (personal vaporizers), are available in a wide assortment of types (function) and styles (size and appearance). Although there are many options, they each generally resemble an elongated tube and utilize the same basic components: a power supply (battery), a heating element (atomizer), and a cartridge (holds e-liquid).The three primary components of an e-cigarette:
2. Atomizer (heating element)
3. Cartridge (holds the e-liquid solution)
In some e-cigarettes, the atomizer and cartridge are separate reusable components, while in other e-cigarettes, the atomizer and cartridge are combined into one disposable component known as a cartomizer.
There are many e-cigarette options, which are generally categorized by type (function) and by style (size and appearance).The three primary types (function) of e-cigarettes:
A one-piece unit, ready-to-use, self-contained, and designed for a single use. Batteries do not need recharging and complete unit is thrown away when cartridge is empty.
A two-piece unit comprised of a battery unit (rechargeable) and a cartomizer (disposable). The cartomizer is a newer type of cartridge that combines a disposable atomizer and the e-liquid into one component. Cartomizers are generally purchased pre-filled and used once, although some users are able to pop the end off for refilling. Convenient and easy to use; simply screw cartomizer on and off of battery unit.
A three-piece unit comprised of the battery unit (rechargeable), atomizer (heating element), and cartridge (mouthpiece, holds e-liquid). Atomizers are reusable, although they have a finite life and need to be replaced periodically. While atomizers are typically used in combination with a cartridge which holds the e-liquid, some experienced users prefer to use a drip tip and drip the e-liquid directly into the atomizer without a cartridge.
More on Atomizers vs Cartomizers
So what is the difference between an atomizer and a cartomizer?
The basic explanation is that an atomizer is reusable and attaches to a separate cartridge that can be filled and refilled with e-liquid, while a cartomizer is disposable, prefilled cartridge that combines a disposable atomizer and e-liquid into one unit.
To explain further…Atomizer Electronic Cigarette
A three part e-cigarette utilizes a battery and two separate components known as an atomizer and a cartridge. To use the electronic cigarette, one end of the atomizer (heating element) screws onto the battery (power source) and the other end gets pushed onto the cartridge (mouthpiece).
The atomizer (or atty) is the part of the electronic cigarette that vaporizes the e-liquid in the cartridge so that it can be inhaled. By slightly heating the e-liquid, it produces the vapor, flavor, and throat hit that allows a sensation similar to cigarette smoking.
Atomizers are reusable, but they do not last forever. They all degrade and fail over time, especially if in constant use. On average, the natural lifespan of an atomizer is about one month, but this can vary from a few days to a couple months. It is always a good idea to have at least one or two extra atomizers on hand.
There are several types of atomizers available, which differ in size and performance. A few of the most popular atomizers are the 510, 901, and 801. The 510 and 901 are in the mini category (close in size to a traditional cigarette) and offer similar performance. The 801, used in the “Classic” Penstyle category of electronic cigarettes, is larger and offers greater intensity vaping.
One of the primary factors affecting the performance of the atomizer is its resistance (measured in ohms).
Types of atomizers include standard atomizers, Low Resistance (LR) atomizers, and High Voltage (HV) atomizers. A High Voltage atomizer, which is intended for use with 6v + mods (will not work with regular batteries), allows users to use a higher voltage device with a similar feel to standard vaping. A Low Resistance atomizer, which needs to be used on batteries of at least 450 mAh, mimics the experience of higher voltage vaping (greater intensity) without the need for a 5 volt or higher device, however LR atomizers can also burn out faster.
The cartridge (or cart) is the part that holds the e-liquid and is used in combination with an atomizer. One end of the cartridge attaches to the atomizer and the other end is the mouthpiece. Users can choose from a variety of mouthpiece styles, such as a round shape to resemble a traditional cigarette or like a whistle to resemble a flat tip on a cigar.
Cartridges for e-cigarettes can be purchased blank (empty) or pre-filled (e-liquid inside). The empty cartridge can easily be filled and refilled with e-liquid by sliding the mouthpiece on and off of the atomizer.
Although atomizers are typically used with cartridges, some of the more experienced vapers prefer to use a drip tip and drip the e-liquid into the atomizer without the cartridge.Cartomizer Electronic Cigarette
A two part e-cigarettes utilizes a only a battery and a cartomizer (or carto), rather than a separate atomizer and cartridge. A cartomizer is a type of cartridge that combines the atomizer and cartridge (mouthpiece with e-liquid) into one disposable unit. The cartomizer is easily replaced by screwing and unscrewing it directly onto the battery. Cartomizers are generally purchased pre-filled with e-liquid, used once, and then disposed. They are available in a variety of flavors and in varying strength of nicotine. They are convenient and easy to use. Cartomizers are typically intended for a one time use, yet some users do refill them by popping off the end. If wanted, they may also be purchased blank and filled by the user.
There are two primary types of cartomizers, the 510 and the 808. The 510 fits the traditional 510 batteries and mods based on those. The 808 fits the traditional 901 batteries and mods based on those.Features to Consider
Atomizer takes cartridge, can fill and refill your own cartridge with e-liquid
E-liquid for cartridges can be blended for custom combination of flavors
Atomizers are reuseable, but involves maintenance of atomizers (cleaning) and cartridges (cleaning, drying, cart filler replacing, and refilling)
Cartomizers are self-contained, convenient, easy to use, and disposable
Atomizers and cartomizers both burn out at some point
Atomizers generally cost more and last longer than cartomizers
Atomizers tend to have better vapor and flavor than cartomizers
While atomizers may offer more custom combinations and pique the interest of experienced vapers who want to experiment with various options, the cartomizer electronic cigarettes are easy to use and offer a satisfactory experience, making them a good option for many e-cigarettes users, especially those new to vaping. In the end, based on your own needs and tastes, you want to choose the electronic cigarette that makes the experience enjoyable for you.
The four primary styles (based on length) of e-cigarettes:
- (50-99 mm) the smallest and lightest style of e-cigarette; shorter and thinner than tobacco cigarettes.
- Features: small and lightweight, but compact size makes for a smaller battery, atomizer, and cartridge
2. Super Mini E-Cigarettes – (100-115 mm) one of the smallest styles of e-cigarettes; similar in size to tobacco cigarettes.
- Features: size is most similar to traditional 100mm tobacco cigarettes
3. Mini E-Cigarettes – (116-139 mm) a mid-length e-cigarette in-between size of Pen Style and Super Mini; about 1″ longer than tobacco cigarettes.
- Features: fairly good battery life and vapor and not much bigger than a tobacco cigarette
4. Pen Style E-Cigarettes – (140-160 mm) longest length e-cigarette; the original style of e-cigarette, also called “classic” e-cigarette; named for its resemblance to a pen with a cap when the atomizer and cartridge are attached to the battery.
- Features: strong battery life between charges, big cartridge capacity, and produces abundant flavor, but larger than tobacco cigarettes
Other styles (categories) of e-cigarettes:Hybrids (Mods) – the larger battery models, including a style known as the Screwdriver.
Electronic Cigars – a device that mimics the look and feel of cigars, using e-smoking technology.
Electronic Pipes – a device that mimics the look and feel of a tobacco pipe, using e-smoking technology.
Choosing an E-Cigarette
The variety of e-cigarette options may be overwhelming and confusing for new e-cigarette users, as there are many factors to consider including ease of use, battery life, size, appearance, vapor production, taste, throat hit and cost. If you are just starting out with e-cigarettes, keep in mind the following when buying and using e-cigarettes:
Everyone has different needs, tastes, and preferences
Each e-cigarette has pros and cons, there is not a perfect device
Be willing to experiment with different options to see what works best for you
Vaping is not smoking, yet you may find the experience even more enjoyable
There will be a learning curve, but it is worth the effort
For some e-cigarette users, the deciding factor may be appearance, for others it may be the functional aspects of a particular device. In general, you will find that the larger the e-cigarette, the longer the battery life and the greater the cartridge capacity, while the smaller the e-cigarette the shorter the battery life and the smaller the cartridge capacity.
How to Choose an Ecig FAQ?
There are Many Choices
- With so many electronic cigarettes on the market it’s hard to know which one to buy. The truth is no matter how carefully you choose and how many reviews you read there is a certain amount of trial and error involved. After all there is no accounting for taste. Some people like a harsh hit, others like a silky hit and others just like a nice smooth hit. Then there is flavor, who’s to say which flavors will appeal to what people. I have tried chocolate from several different brands as well as vanilla and other flavors and some of them I like, other, not so much.
The Difference Between PG and VG?
- This is why I try to educate people about the different types of electronic cigarette, such as PG (Propylene Glycol) and VG (Vegetable Glycerin). If you’re the type of person that likes a strong almost scratchy throat hit you may be a PG person, if you like the smoother, more mild hit you may be a VG person. There is one big disadvantage to PG though, it tends to cause an allergic reaction in a good deal of the people who use it. It’s still better than smoking tobacco cigarettes but VG is considered less of a health risk than PG. This is just my opinion and yours may differ but the way I see it is this, If you’re looking at buying an e cig it’s most likely because you either want to quit smoking or find a healthier way to get your nicotine fix. Either PG or VG will deliver the nicotine that your body craves and that is really the important part. As long as you’re committing to a change, why not go all the way and use the VG, besides most people agree the flavors are much better and that PG leaves a nasty aftertaste which I can attest to personally.
What Do You Want From An Electric Cigarette?
- I also try to get people to ask themselves what they want out of an electric cigarette. Are you planning to use it occasionally at parties or when your friends are smoking and you want one so bad you can taste it. Do you plan to use it in place of tobacco cigarettes, or do you want to use it to quit smoking?
This may sound stupid at first but it’s really very helpful in deciding which one to choose. For instance, if you’re just planing to use it now and then at parties to keep you from smoking a cigarette, you may want to use disposables, this way you wont have to fuss with keeping the unit charged or cleaning or maintenance. Disposables can get expensive if you’re using them all the time but for light users it’s perfect. If you’re planning to use it to replace smoking, you may want to go for a higher end, more expensive brand. You will still save tons of money over tobacco but some of the more expensive models, have the best taste and throat hit. They simulate the smoking experience a little more closely.
How Much Do You Have To Spend?
- Budget is ALWAYS a factor when making a purchase, even if you have plenty of money to buy the one you want. You may want to use a top of the line expensive model to quit smoking, or you may want to use disposables on a daily basis just because you have the money and you’re willing to pay for the convenience. On the other hand you’re probably like most people and are on a tight budget. The thing to remember is, get the one that meets your needs, for instance if you’re planning to replace cigarettes, don’t spare the expense to get the expensive model, you’re still going to save a small fortune over tobacco.